Wednesday, February 26, 2014

This Minecraft Moment Brought to You By...

Mom and the Number 8.

My Daughter LOVES Minecraft.  She is so happy when she gets her time on her mini iPad to play Minecraft Pocket addition.  She's almost as obsessed with it as my Mom and Sister are with CandyCrush. (Sorry for "outting" you gals) The one big difference though with this obsession is my Daughter doesn't feel bad or guilty using up her time playing one game, and she's never mad at herself for even getting started on it. ha!

Even after she has played it, she is drawing pictures, creating 3D homes out of paper, crafting diamond swords and fashioning Minecraft outfits for her smaller stuffies.  And she LOVES to talk about it, she will tell me anything and everything that is going on in her Minecraft worlds...and at risk of sounding like I'm really, really, old...I have no idea what she is talking about.  When I ask her questions she looks at me like "oh you poor dear, how do you not understand what I'm talking about? I feel sorry for you."  So I just kind of play along and mirror her excitement, and I can't help but get caught up in her happy energy over this game.

She asked me last week if she could teach me how to play it.  Of coarse I said "yes".  So we sat down and she showed me.  I'm just not a gamer. at. all.  I could tell she was disappointed in my lack of Minecraft Awesomeness.  So I suggested every week, her and I snuggle for half and hour while I watch her play Minecraft and she can show and explain everything to me, hence our Minecraft Moment.  (Disclaimer: We do snuggle all the time, not just for this one half hour a week)

It's such a small amount of time, but reaps big rewards on the connection front.  Minecraft is something that is really important to her at this time in her life and she wants to share it with me.  (Can you see where this is going?)  I feel this is one of those times that I needed to wake up and hear whats really happening.  She wants to share this important thing in her life with me.  I'm hoping this mindfulness transfer over for when she is older and still wants (needs) to share her important stuff with me.  I want her to always feel validated and be confident in knowing that I make the time for all her important things. 

What's your kids Minecraft Moment? 

Love
Marcia
XO

No comments:

Post a Comment